Friday, January 2, 2009

Who wants a dog when you can can have a chicken

Many more city families are keeping chickens as pets. Families are keeping chickens because they produce fresh eggs, pest control and cheap protein.

California Web developer and business consultant Rob Ludlow, for one, tells people his pets make him breakfast but it's no joke with five egg-laying hens in the back yard of his Pleasant Hill home.

Chicken lovers have convinced some cities to change their rules to allow small numbers of backyard chickens. Regulations generally limit the number of chickens families are allowed to have and do not allow roosters.

Would you object to your neighbor having chickens?

1 comment:

Lucy said...

Oh, my goodness, in my little suburban area the uproar would be heard to high heaven. I have to admit I am not to sure how I feel about it but I guarantee you it wouldn't even matter, the people here would freak! Now, that I thought about it while writing these few sentences I have to admit I don't think I would want chickens next door. Guess it is just tooo weird for me.